Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Spaghetti

I never used to understand why parents would feed their young kids spaghetti.  On first glance it seems like one of the absolute worst foods you could give to a toddler or baby--long, squishy noodles that are easy to throw (and stick) to everything, covered in a nice stain-friendly red sauce to boot.  The truth is feeding kids is just plain messy no matter what they are eating, but I have still avoided feeding it to my kids.  Plus, my husband is not a spaghetti fan so I haven't bothered.

The other day though I noticed a few pasta boxes that are a couple months past their "best by" dates and decided to use them up (yeah I know, some of you are thinking that's gross--I just say "eh."), and I opted to make spaghetti.

Turns out that both of my kids liked it, which is a rare occasion in our household.   "Not too bad" I thought to myself, "maybe we should have spaghetti more often!"   As they were eating I bustled around the kitchen getting a few things together (husband was working late and I was getting his plate ready for when he got home).  I looked up at one point to see the inevitable--Edee had taken those thin long noodles during the whole three minutes my back was turned and slopped them on the table, herself. and the floor.   And of course Chicken's face, hair, and chest were all super saucy.  Sigh.

Me:  "Edee, what are you doing?  Making a big mess??"
Edee:  "No mommy, I making a yittle (little) big mess!"

Ahh.....yep.  In reality that was a pretty accurate statement.  Her big messes really are BIG messes, and in comparison that really was a little, big mess.  I'd like to know what she considers a big big mess....then again maybe I don't!!



No comments:

Post a Comment