Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Friday, October 24, 2014

Diaper Change

The kids had run upstairs while I was finishing up cleaning something downstairs.  Suddenly I hear called out-

Edee:  Mommy!!  I change-ded Chicken's diaper!

This is one of those mommy moments when it's possible to be filled with both dread and amusement at the same time.  I paused, then hurried upstairs, not quite sure what I would see.

Chicken was sitting on the little trainer potty while Edee was proudly waiting to tell me her accomplishment.

Edee:  I change-ded Chicken's diaper!!
Me:  I see you took it off.
Edee:  I change-ded it.  First I took off da snaps on his onesie, den I took of him diaper!!!
Me:  Wow.... (scanning the bathroom for the diaper and any signs of a heart-stopping mess. Fortunately I found the wet--and only wet--diaper in the trash bin, nicely bundled. Phew).
Edee:  See?!! I did it.
Me:  Okay...well, um, that's alright, but he needs to wear a diaper.
Chicken:  Yit on da potty!!
Me:  Good job, I see that.  Are you going to go pee?
Chicken:  Yook, boy parts!
Me:  Yes I see.  Sit back down. Time to get a diaper on.
Edee:  No, I wanna do it.
Me:  Let me help you....it's not a bad thing if you learn, I guess....
Edee:  No I can do it myself!
Me:  I'll get the diaper...
Edee:  Okay, I know how to do dis. Sit down on your diaper Chicken. Sit down yike dis.
Me:  Tell him to lay down.
Edee:  Okay, yay down yike dis. Okay yemme see....
Chicken:  Ow, legs hurt!!!,
Edee:  Don' worry.  Okay, hmmm....dust 'coot (scoot) you yittle bum onto da diaper.  Ok, no, you need to 'coot a yittle more.  "Coot your bum on wight here.
Me:  Here....let me help just a little
Edee:  Awight.  Yet's see...where are the snaps.....

Needless to say, when all was said (and a lot was said) and done, Chicken needed a brief re-diapering.  As much as I've wished that there was someone else around to help change diapers, and as "fun" as the kids thought it was,  I don't think we're ready for this to be Edee's new responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment