Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Apology

We've been working with Edee on apologizing.  I want her to say that she's sorry when she's at fault, but I'm also trying to teach her to feel sorry so that she's not just saying it because she has to.  I don't think it's going so well.

Daddy had just fallen asleep on the floor and Edee had thought it would be a good time to jump on him  (according to her she was "dust tickling him.").

Me:  "Edee, that was not very nice to jump all over Daddy when he was trying to rest.  Look at him.  Does he look sad?  That's so sad. Tell Daddy that you are SO sorry."
Edee:  "I'm sorry Daddy."
Me:  "That sounded pretty genuine, good job.  I don't know if he heard you.  Can you go over to him and say that you are so sorry and that you won't ever do that again?"
Edee:  "Ummm.....I don't fink so."
Me:  "Well....fair enough."

--a short moment later--

Edee:  "Can I ha some more chocolate?"

Bribery is always a good last resort.  I'll take it when the opportunity comes up.

Me: "Sure.  Here, give this one to Daddy and tell him 'Here you go Daddy, I'm SO sorry that I jumped all over you.'  Then I'll give you yours."

Edee hands him the chocolate without a word.

Me:  "Hey--what are you supposed to say to Daddy?"
Edee:  "Here you go Daddy.  Take off da wapper, den you can eat it!"
Me:  "Uh......okay fine.  Here's your chocolate."

So the apology thing is a work in process.  I can say the same about my parenting skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment