Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Monday, September 26, 2016

Groovy

Chicken:  Mom!  I don't like dis song!  Dis song is boring.
Me:  Just wait a bit. It picks up and gets better, Bud.  I think you'll like it.
Edee:  Mom you were right!  Dis song does get better.  I like dis song!
Me:  Daddy and I like it too.  
Edee:  Yeah, it's pretty groovy!!
Me: Ha ha ha.....I guess it is....
Edee:  What is dis song called?
Me:  American Pie
Edee:  Why is it called American Pie?  Why is pie American?
Me:  Well....pie is just considered an American thing.  It's a dessert our country is known for.  Other countries have other foods that they are known for.
Edee:  But why is it American?
Me:  Well...people have made it for a long time. Like as long ago as the Pioneers.
Edee:  So Mom, why are they called Pioneers?
Me: I don't know why.  Pioneer means the first people to do something....
Edee:  Maybe it's because they made pie?  Dere is "pie" in da name.  Pie-a-neers.  Pie-aneers. 
Me:  Ha, well....I don't think that's exactly why.  But good observation.

Whenever I hear American Pie I automatically have memories of driving down to the boardwalk in Virginia Beach with Jeff on a hot day--singing along with the windows down and then walking down the boardwalk a few minutes later to hear a live band playing the same song.  Now whenever I hear it, I'll also be thinking about Edee and the Pioneers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment