Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Friday, January 8, 2016

Goals

Goals have been the topic of the week here.  In addition to it being a new year, I taught Joy School lessons about goals for our preschool group.

Me:  So have you been thinking of the goals you want to work on during Joy School?
Student 1:  My goal is to finish my work on time!
Me:  Very nice, that's a great goal.
Student 2:  I'm going to stay calm and be nice!
Me:  That's wonderful.
Edee:  I'm going to help my friends.
Me:  Nice.  How about you work on including everyone also along with that.  What about you Chicken?
Chicken:  I'm going to jump on a cloud!!
Me:  Uh....ok, that sounds fun, but let's think of something we can do during school time...
Chicken:  I want to pack-tice jumping on da cloud!

The other kids are giggling.  After a few minutes of a (pointless) debate about it with Chicken, I suggest something else about helping Mom out and jot it on his chart.

A few days later, we are talking about new chore charts we made and family goals as part of a family night.

Me:  Okay, so I am going to put our charts upstairs where we can see them.  Should we keep the same goals or should we do something else?  Hmm....how about Daddy and I keep the same goals we had.  Edee, do you want to keep the same goal about not whining?
Edee:  Yeah!  I didn't whine today! I get a smiley face!!
Me:  Okay, and Chicken, do you want to keep the same goal of using the potty or do you want to do something else, like not throwing fits?
Chicken:  I want to jump on a cloud!!!
Daddy:  Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Me:   Ugh.  Funny to you Daddy, but this isn't the first time I've heard this.  Uh, okay, honey, you really can't jump on a cloud.  And even if you could, it's not something we can practice at home together in our family.  Do you want to work on staying dry? Or not throwing fits?
Chicken:  I want to jump on a cloud!  ONLY dat one!
Me:  Okay.  Listen.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can't do that.  It won't work.
Chicken:  Only jumping on a cloud.
Me:   No.  Hmmm....what should our goal be for you?
Chicken:  DAT is a goal, get a goal FOR ME.  DAT IS DA GOAL, get a goal for me!!

Well.  I guess that is the case....my goal now is to find a goal for Clayton that we can agree on (or that is at least more realistic than jumping on a cloud).  

No comments:

Post a Comment