Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Friday, July 3, 2015

Happy Birthday America

We started celebrating the Fourth of July a couple days early since we have a long weekend. We went to see fireworks on the 2nd (which was terrifying for two year old Chicken--who had his hands tightly clamped over his ears, mouth and eyes shut).  He hopped up when it was over and clapped his hands, yelling "Happy Birthday America!" with the rest of us, more happy that it was over than anything.

This morning (the 3rd) I made the kids American Flag pancakes--nothing fancy--leftover pancakes from the fridge with blueberries, strawberries, and bananas "striped" on it.

As I'm taking a picture:

Me:  Chicken, say "Happy Birthday America!!"
Chicken:  Happy Bur-day Ame-wica!
Me (as I set down my phone):  Good job!
Chicken:  Wait!  I wan to say it to him!!
Me:  No....no one is on the phone.  America isn't a person!
Chicken: But I wan to say it to him!  He be sad!!!
Edee:  Ha ha ha!!  Ha ha Chicken.....why isn't America a person?

I try to give the simplest explanation I could, which of course ended up being complicated and lengthy instead.

Me:  .....I know it's hard to understand.  You'll understand at some point.
Edee:  Okay.....um.   Mom,  I don't understand yet.
Me:  I meant sometime when you're older.

So much confusion in the world!  But really, what do they care?  They get fireworks and treats and that's what really matters when you are two and four.


No comments:

Post a Comment