Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Mermaids

We are driving in the car.  This is often a time for deep conversational topics--like "mermaids"

Edee:  Mommy, why aren't mermaids real?
Me:  Because someone used their imaginations to make them up.
Edee: Why did dey do dat?
Me:  Because maybe someone thought they existed at one time, but now we know they don't and they are fun to imagine.
Edee:  But I want them to be real.
Me:  I know.
Edee:  I want to see one.
Me:  I know, they are just for our imaginations
Edee:  And movies
Me:  And books, and pictures
Edee:  Well lions aren't real.
Me:  Lions are real!!  Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't real.
Edee:  Jesus isn't real.
Me:  Jesus is real!  Honey....some thing are real and some things aren't; people have to choose what they believe in.  And even then they aren't always right.
Edee:  I want mermaids to be real.
Me:  Okay.  You can believe in mermaids if you want.  I don't see any harm in that for now....

Ironic that this came up right when I've been having some of that Santa guilt and wondering if it will cause a belief crisis later in life.  These are tricky lines we walk in parenting....

No comments:

Post a Comment