Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Thursday, April 10, 2014

It's Otay

I'm pulling into the parking lot of Target with Edee and Chicken in tow when it hits me that I left the bag of clothes I was going to return at home.  I had a few other things I was going to pick up, but the entire original purpose of going to Target this morning was to return those clothes.

Me:  "Argh......Ugh, I can't believe I forgot the clothes. Grrrrr."
Edee:  "What wrong, Mommy?"
Me:  "Oh, I'm just mad at myself for forgetting something."
Edee (in her sweetest voice):  "It's Otay Mommy."
Me:  "Thanks, Edee."
Edee:  "It's Otay to be upset wit you self when you forget some-ting."
Me:  "Thanks, Edee.  You're right, it is okay. That is nice of you to say, you are a kind person."
Edee:  "I not a person!"
Me:  "Yes you are!"
Edee:  "No, I not a person yet, I just a yittle big girl."

We talk about feelings a lot--like how it's okay to feel a certain way and express emotions in the proper way (instead of throwing tantrums, for example).  It sounds like we are doing a decent job at getting that across. But raising our kids to know that they are people?  Apparently we're not doing so hot at that.


No comments:

Post a Comment