Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Spider

We've been staying at a Residence Inn for the past 10 days.  Hotel life has had it's adventures.  I don't mind it much, usually, but I'm getting to the point where having a place of our own just might out-weigh having someone else doing the cooking and cleaning.

Yesterday as the kids and I were getting ready to head out to look at yet another apartment, I noticed a huge, black, menacing spider on the bathroom floor.  I try to be brave about spiders.  I really do.  My bravery usually consists of grabbing the vacuum and sucking the creepy things up (don't tell me how they go on to live in the vacuum and lay eggs or something, that's not how it works in my head.  Out of sight, out of mind).  Since I was short a vacuum, and it's hard for me to fathom getting close enough to kill it, my reaction was instead to squeal and shut the bathroom door.  I was tempted to just leave it for the cleaning lady to deal with when I saw just how large the crack under the door was--the spider could easily escape and be anywhere waiting for us on the dark navy blue carpets.  I couldn't handle that thought.

Edee had been observing my freak out episode.  I was telling her and Chicken to stay away from the bathroom while I got the spider.  Edee could sense my anxiety, so when I opened the door and we found the gross critter,  she yelled, "GET IT, MOMMY!!!  SMASH IT WIT YOU SHOES MOMMY!!  YOU CAN DO IT MOMMY!  SMASH IT!!!"

So I did smash it with my shoe, while screaming and convulsing with disgust and terror.  But my little cheerleader helped give me the courage.  After I had stomped down on it she yelled, "YOU DID IT, YAY MOMMY!", clapped her hands and gave me a high five.  She was so proud of me!

I have a pretty awesome two-year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment