Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Know Everything

Edee, Chicken, and I are gathered around the counter cutting up fruit for lunch.  We just came inside after finishing up our last day of Joy School for the year.  The windows are open and it's a beautiful, warm, slightly breezy day.  I feel content and happy chatting with these sweet little children of mine, and I'm contemplating all the things I should teach them over the summer.

Edee:  Mom, James doesn't like to hurt nature, but food is nature!
Me:  Mmm hmmm.
Edee:  Food is nature, right?
Me:  Food comes from nature, right.  For the most part.....
Edee:  Yeah like da fruit is from plants, and meat is animals.
Me:  Right.
Edee:  Yeah.  James doesn't know everything.
Me:  No he doesn't.  You don't know everything either.  No one does, except for--
Edee:  Except for Sci Show.  Sci Show knows everything.
Me: ....No.... Sci Show teaches a lot about science, but it doesn't know everything.
Edee:  But science IS everything.

I was going to say "except for God", before I was interrupted.  It appears I don't have a born believer on my hands.....

Me:  Science is not everything, my dear--
Chicken:  We are not deers, Mommy!!  We are not deers.
Me:  (ignoring him)
Chicken:  MOM!  We are not deers!!
Me: (ignoring him still)
Chicken: MOOOMMMM!  WE. ARE. NOT. DEERS.
Me:  Okay Chicken.  Okay.

Interrupted (again) to be corrected by their extensive understanding of things.  My little dream of teaching them all these wonderful things this summer just got squashed a little.  I guess I need to teach them some humility first.


No comments:

Post a Comment