Oh noodles.

Oh noodles.
"Edee" and "Chicken" are nicknames for my two little rascals. The names originated from how my daughter would pronounce both her own and little brother's name when she first started talking. They've stuck. Chicken may live to regret that someday....

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Leg

Chicken's seasonal allergies seem to be acting up.  Ragweed is out, apparently.  I've been giving him Children's Claritin in the morning.

Chicken:  *coughing and sputtering*
Me:  You okay, Chicken?
Chicken:  Yeah.  My froat.
Me:  Sounds like your medicine went down the wrong pipe, eh?
Edee:  Down da wong pipe!?
Me:  Yeah--there are two different "pipes" in your throat.  One is called your trachea and goes to your lungs, the other is called your esophagus and helps get food and drinks to your stomach.  Sometimes you cough if you drink something that blocks the air to your trachea; we say, 'it's going down the wrong pipe'.
Edee:  OOOOhh.

About an hour later, driving to church.

Chicken:  My LEG!! My leg hurts!!
Me:  Aw.  What's wrong?
Chicken:  Da Medayine!
Me: I don't think you need any medicine for it buddy...just tell me what's wrong.
Chicken:  Dere's medayine IN my leg!
Me:  Okay when we get to church we'll hang you upside down and shake it out.
Chicken:  NO!
Me:  I'm kidding....what's wrong with your leg?
Chicken:  Wah!! Da medayine in dere!

Then it dawns on me that when I was explaining the different pipes that morning he must have heard and internalized "legs" instead of "lungs"...

Me:  Oh, did your medicine go down the wrong pipe into your leg?
Chicken:  Yeah!!  It did!!
Me:  Ah ha ha ha.

Oh Chicken.  He's the best.  Daddy and I got a good laugh out of that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment